In Russian Karelia, near Belomorsk town in the coast of the White Sea is a site of more than 2000 petroglyphs carved on horizontal rock beds. They were discovered in 1926 by Aleksandr Linevski. He visited a small village, which situates along the river Vyg, 8 km from the sea.. After him, more and more petroglyphs are still discovered.
Finally, a center for these ancient pictograms Беломорские петроглифы, is under contruction. The Karelian petroglyphs now joins in the network of Scandinavian petroglyphs centers likeTanums hällristningsmuseum in Sweden and Alta Museum in Norway.
The center 's logo is a white whale - the majority of petroglyphs represent white whales and a sea hunting culture.
At the same time these petroglyphs are in the UNESCO tentative list for the World Heritage list. The center will help to promote UNESCO project to go forward. The center will help to create conservation and educational programs similar activities like in Sweden and Norway.
See a map below.